When Bain approached me I'd already been working in Consulting for a few years, and Bain was the "aspirational" firm to work with - a down-to-earth elite group of people, working on "red hot" world-changing projects with passion, creativity, energy and achieving inspirational success stories. After all, this was the firm that "invented" "Private Equity support", the "Loyalty Customer Experience" maps, Bridgespan to support the NGO world, and had so many stories covering so many of the world's best loved and thriving brands, companies and executives. So when the phone rang and it was Bain, I took the call. And the ride has exceeded my expectations - by more than a mile, as you can see below.
My passion at Bain is figuring out how hugely diverse and super-complex problems can be modeled and solved - ranges from having to figure out how to measure the impact of medical research for an NGO to maximize the "betterment of Mankind" to understanding the dynamics at play in the Euro Crisis and how to protect taxpayers, savers, Banks and Governments from future shocks.
Outside the office my passion is currently my 3-month old baby daughter, who giggles in delight when she plays with her daddies.
My favorite case
My favorite case over the last few years was the transformation of a mid-sized European bank, devising the robust, profitable core that would be able to succeed in a convoluted market, which in turn became the blueprint for other banks to re-imagine themselves.
My personal results story
Bain has offered me a number of opportunities:
- Solving leading-edge problems (be it in deal-making for PE funds, the medical research impact on Mankind mentioned above or the clarity of vision for the transformation of banks in Europe to succeed in a new landscape).
- To have a brand in my CV which opens all door anywhere in the world and is second-to-none in meaning top-notch, successful impact, "red hot" innovation
- To work with people who share my values for bringing the best to our clients, integrity in your recommendations, openness in thinking about problems and solutions, and collaborative working relationships where coming to work in the morning is a pleasure.
- To live and work in a number of places across the world - Sydney, London, Paris, Melbourne, Madrid and Lisbon - where the Bain valued and behaviors are consistently embraced and nurtured.
- I've met my partner, which trumps all other points above.
Needless to say I embraced these opportunities and my life was made richer.
My perspective on diversity at Bain
I am a member of Bain's BGLAD team and experience Bain's approach to diversity first-hand. The culture is inclusive, supportive and never condescending. The communities that get established allow for exchanging views, experiences and news from across the globe, building even further a sense of affiliation and these communities are clearly a "plus" in the Bain proposition for all of us.
A final thought
When I joined Bain I carried with me an INSEAD MBA. Having been at other firms, I came to learn that Bain is the best career path after business school. You will continue to be surrounded by the best and the brightest to broaden your skillset at an accelerated pace and will have a brand imprint which is second-to-none. It is unbeatable.